It has been a good while since I’ve written a blog, and now feel like the right time to get back on it.
For those you who follow, you’ll know that we now have an online course called ‘Antiracism Made Simple’. These blog posts are tiny extracts of the course, and we want to share them with you. This blog post is about racially inclusive workplace and ways to create them. Enjoy!
5 Benefits to having a racial inclusive workplace
A racially inclusive work environments are ones that value and respect the diversity of its employees, regardless of their race, ethnicity, or cultural background. Such environments foster a sense of belonging and encourages employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
Here are 5 benefits of having a racially inclusive work environment:
- Increased creativity and innovation: A diverse workforce brings together people with different perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. Diversity of thought can lead to more creative and innovative ideas, which can help organisations stay competitive in today’s fast-paced business environment.
- Improved employee engagement and retention: When employees feel valued and respected, they are more likely to be engaged and committed to their work. This can lead to higher levels of job satisfaction and lower turnover rates. Which is what we want, right!
- Better decision-making: Diverse teams can bring a wider range of perspectives to the table, which can lead to better decision-making. When people from different backgrounds come together to solve problems, they are more likely to consider a wider range of options and come up with more effective solutions.
- Increased customer satisfaction: A racially inclusive workplace environment can help organisations better understand and serve their diverse customer base. When employees come from different backgrounds, they can bring unique insights into the needs and preferences of different customer groups.
- Positive impact on society: By promoting racial inclusivity in the workplace, organisations can help create a fairer and equitable society. This can have a positive impact on the broader community and help build a more harmonious and peaceful world.
Here are a couple of reading materials on the subject:
- “The Benefits of Racially Inclusive Workplaces.” Catalyst, 2021. 1
- Hollins, Caprice, and Ilsa Govan. “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Strategies for Facilitating Conversations on Race.” Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2019
You are also welcome to hop over to the Keep It Simple Training Company YouTube Channel for videos on antiracism and snippets of content from the Antiracism Made Simple course. Our online course information is here.